Tuesday 13 October 2015

Star Wars, The Beta Episode 1. !!!!

Good morning interweb, Yes I did say morning which is very unlike me but the only reason I am experiencing a morning is that I have not yet gone to bed.
What I have been doing over the last few days is putting in some time on Star Wars Battlefront beta.
I have played for quite a few hours to get some real experience with the game and read a lot of other peoples experiences with the game.
Here is a wallpaper if you are into that kind of thing.
As advised I started off on the single player survival mission level to get an idea of the controls and rattled that off perfectly first go out of the gate.
I then went on to play dropzone to level up and unlock some goodies before trying my hand at the Walker assault on Hoth.
Hmmmmm, dropzone was at first very difficult with stock weapons and I simply thought that everybody had better guns grenades etc than me and so took the pain in the ass till I got to up to level 5 which was the level cap.
I unlocked all the good stuff and threw myself into the Walker assault game mode.
Well Holy Light Sabres Luke, I am in The Empire Strikes Back, literally Tie fighters and X Wings screaming overhead, hulking great AT AT's slowly stomping across the landscape. Laser fire going pew pew pew all over the place.
After a few minutes I realised that actually this was more like the movie than I thought, I was firing my laser rifle at the enemy with no affect whatsoever. I was an extra in the film and not a lead character so my laser bolts did absolutely no damage at all whilst many of the enemies shots took me out with one of two laser bolts.
The lag was totally horrendous for me.
The youtube clip here shows a typical encounter for me, Firing first getting nearly every shot on target with a more powerful weapon and the enemy kills me in two shots with half of their health bar left.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXx0gu_AY50
Yes but it's Star Wars man, and I agree it was good fun for the first couple of hours play. It is a beta and many people from different countries were not having the same issues as myself but a fair few were.
Another thing I noticed was that when I did get a kill it was shortly after dying myself. Almost as if we killed each other at the same time which makes me wonder if the lag compensation algorithm isn't a bit off.
I had to turn off my Netduma R1 to be able to join a lobby and the Walker assault was mostly on a server in mid Europe whilst the drop zone was on the West coast of the USA.
A few other niggles were the inability to go prone, the vast amount of people head glitching behind rocks and my distinct lack of ability when it came to flying stuff about.
A guy I game with on a regular basis kept saying "was that you?" every time I crashed an A wing or a tie fighter. lol
But heck man it's Star Wars, and yes it is but for £46.00 on final release I think they have far to many issues to sort out before release. The veneer of "It's Star Wars" wears kinda thin after an hour or so of lag induced death and swearing in different languages.
The only way I found to do well was to either get a pick up token and get inside the AT AT and blow the fuck out of everything for a minute or to flank the enemy and get into one of the many turrets on the Hoth map. 
Having played both the Black Ops 3 beta and the Star Wars Beta I cannot decide which is worse to be honest. I have Black Ops pre ordered but do not think that I will be rushing to pick up Star Wars based on the beta. At least with Black Ops there is a campaign to play as well.
And so interweb I will leave you with these thoughts,
  I get up every afternoon determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
and remember this, We are a specific arrangement of particles and this instant is infinite. Did we luck out, or didn't we? The odds against this sentence having ever being typed, much less the odds against you reading it were inconceivable. Smile, because the fact that you're able to is almost impossible to comprehend.
Peace out yall, THE BAGSTAXXX
Oh and one last thing if you are reading this Iain from Netduma,  When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment