Thursday 22 October 2015

GOD, Stamps and bufferbloat!!!

Hello interweb, It has been a few days since we have interacted other than in a gaming context so let me share with you my latest insights to life as a meat bag.
I was rudely awakened yesterday morning by a loud knocking at the front door. The curtains upstairs and downstairs were firmly closed as a clue to what state the residents of our home were currently in and so I thought it must be a parcel delivery of some sort and as such dragged my fat ass out of bed and went to answer the door.
What the people at the door were thinking when they decided to hammer me out of bed I am not sure but given the clues you can bet I wasn't in the mood for a conversation about God.
Serves me right I guess for posting the following quote on the netduma forum the other day,
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously."
I guess that will teach me to be a smart arse.
My set of Star Wars Stamps first day cover issue arrived later in the day as well, actually 2 sets as I posted a set to a fellow nerd in the USA who I game with on a regular basis.

 They are pretty cool and will look even better once I have framed them and put them up on the wall in mission control.
In other news I have been looking into a thing called bufferbloat after reading an article in the Netduma R1 forums.
I am not a believer in throttling your connections to such a low level you just get the required amount of speed to game and have yet to see any conclusive proof that this works but I am aware that using the Netduma R1's Congestion Control settings you can get an optimum QOS setting for your connection.
Zennon from the forum has run tests and his comes back to a Congestion Control setting of 70% to give grade A for bufferbloat whilst mine comes in at 50% of my total bandwidth. With 28% of my connection reserved for my PS4 this gives me around 9MB download speed and 2.5 upload.
Just out of interest I lowered my settings to that which some people feel you need to do to avoid "lag compensation" etc etc and I got a reading of "D". Not very good really so I still do not buy into this whole throttle your connection to death to get a good consistent gaming experience.
All these tests were done at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html in the UK but I am sure there other similar testing sites in different countries.
In other news my Scuf controller is still going strong with no signs of breaking yet.
AW still has very inconsistent connections but for the most part using the R1 the game is still playable despite the low player base.
Well not long now till Black Ops 3 drops and I have the weekend free to get stuck into it proper as it is a Friday release this year instead of the usual Tuesday and rumour has it that connections will be ping based and that if you leave a game then try to connect to another one the game will be a lot less likely to throw you straight back into the same game where you are on the losing side with the enemy having all their score streaks up and the loss is inevitable.
I personally think that they should just limit the damn score streaks to 3, 5 and 7 like early games and concentrate more on gun on gun battles instead encouraging people to camp their lilly asses off for that game ending score streak.
Any way interweb enough of my ramblings for today, I will leave you with this thought though,
"Before you contradict an old man, my fair friend, you should endeavour to understand him." and "Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl."
Peace out Yall, THE BAGSTAXXX


No comments:

Post a Comment