Friday, 30 November 2012

Cold, St Andrew and Picking berries!!!



Good day interweb and a blooming cold and frosty one it is, the sound of car windows been cleared with scrapers this morning did I must admit bring a warm feeling to my cold heart as I lay in my warm bed safe in the knowledge that I didn’t have to get up and go out there.
I occasionally take a look back at what I was rambling on about this time last year and it was Christmas and the whole Christian bit about Jesus etc. http://bagsta69.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/xmas-is-coming-bagstas-getting-fat.html
Today is St Andrews day so Happy St Andrews day to my Scottish friends.

  St. Andrew is said to have been responsible for spreading the tenets of the Christian religion though Asia Minor and Greece. Tradition suggests that St. Andrew was put to death by the Romans in Patras, by being pinned to a cross, something the romans were quite good at, just watch the Life of Brian.
The diagonal shape of this cross is said to be the basis for the Cross of St. Andrew which appears on the Scottish Flag.
St. Andrews bones were entombed, and around 300 years later were moved by Emperor Constantine to his new capital Constantinople. Legend suggests that a Greek Monk was warned in a dream that St. Andrews remains were to be moved and was directed by an angel to take those of the remains which he could to the "ends of the earth" for safe-keeping. Fancy taking them to Scotland, I know it’s a bit wet and dreary up there at times but the ends of the earth is a bit much.
Anyway St. Rule dutifully followed these directions, removing a tooth, an arm bone, a kneecap and some fingers from St. Andrew's tomb and transported them to Scotland where he was shipwrecked and came ashore at a Pictish settlement on the East Coast of Scotland and this later became St. Andrews.
I have over the last few days been thinking about us as a race, humans. Were not very good are we really. I mean I have a bad back and have had to have it operated on. I think that this could be partially to do with the fact that I sit at a desk in front of a computer for hours a day followed by sitting in front of a TV playing video games. I wasn’t designed to do that and neither were you. Evolution has worked it’s magic on us and we have been designed to wander about picking berries and running away from the occasional lion or other beasty with big teeth.
We have also developed a strong desire to blow the hell out of each other. This is most prevalent in the middle east at the moment, I said last year that there was still much evil in the minds of men and I stand by that comment. Im also sure that it is just the cynic in me that thinks that whilst these oil rich countries beat the hell out of each other as we sit back and watch, we will then just roll in when there is no resistance left and take the spoils of a war that was not ours. 

Anyway interweb as I contemplate what will happen when the universe reaches it’s expansive maximum (sounds like a well endowed Roman) and either tears the space time or begins to collapse back in on itself I will leave you with some drivel,
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion, and remember interweb, not everything in life makes you stronger. It is however possible to survive, to run away, to skip the test, to chicken out. Or at least to ask for some help.
Peace out YALL, THE BAGSTAXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment