Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Free will and the meaning of life!!!



Hello interweb, it has been a while since I have been along here to share with you my musings on life the universe and everything but on this very wet Tuesday afternoon I thought I may.
I have been thinking of late about us, not you and me but us as a race, as people existing here on this blue planet. I have been thinking about how we have evolved if indeed evolve we did. What are we here for what is the meaning of life. A vast question indeed but I do actually have a few thoughts on the subject which I will share with you.
You see the human mind exists I believe in the human brain which is stored quite nicely in a package called the body.
The human brain is an amazing lump of tissue, it has as many cells as there are stars in the milky way and many more connections than there are stars in the known universe.
RenĂ© Descartes said, "I think, therefore I am." So to think is what makes us what we are, not our bodies. Imagine a body without a mind, it simply doesn’t work but a mind without a body does, whilst it may have a few problems walking down the road to the shops it can still work and function. It can still have emotions and thoughts and this is what has lifted us to the levels we are today.
We have become self aware.
We think and make decisions, when we are given choices we make choices, or do we. Do we really have free will? Does free will really exist or are we predisposed to do what we do. Does a serial become a killer or are they born killers?
You see I believe that the mind is like the weather and tiny variables can have a massive effect just like the butterfly effect.
If a person wakes up in the middle of the night feeling thirsty and they go downstairs to the fridge. They open the door and are presented with a clear choice of apple juice or orange juice to quench their thirst. However in reality the person is not presented with a clear choice at all, a happy experience in earlier life that was linked to apples has already made that choice for the person. There is no choice. (this is just an example by the way)
So if we don’t really have free choice what is our reality? Reality is subjective, mine differs from yours and to that of a goldfish in a bowl. Reality is in the mind of the beholder,
We think, therefore we are.
Even in a simulated world we would have free thought, maybe not free will but free thought. Does the table still exist when we leave the room?
The next stage, I believe in the human mind is to unlock more of the massively untapped power of the unconscious mind and I also believe that the meaning of life is what YOU choose it to be.

Right now for some drivel just in case you didn’t think that wasn’t drivel enough.
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little and I have to say that what I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death.
Peace out yall, THE BAGSTAXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment