Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Eagle rays, night sky and regret!!!


Good afternoon interweb, It has been a while since I last popped by to see how you were. I trust your zero’s and one’s are in the correct order and our separation has not been too disheartening for you.
As I disclosed to you on my last visit I have been spending some time in the Indian ocean for the last couple of weeks with Fi and a couple of very good friends Jono and Lou and fabulous time has been had by all.
I must confess that of our 5 trips to the Maldives this one has been by far the most pleasant. So pleasant that after a couple of days I couldn’t even be bothered with even your good self interweb.
We stayed at Embudu village as I mentioned and the place is proper no news no shoes. No TV in your room or newspapers just total relaxation.
With it been the monsoon season we did have a few tropical storms for the first few days but after that it was wall to wall sunshine and factor gazillion sun cream for my pasty white Yorkshire skin.
The island is mainly visited by German tourists and we even made friends with a few of them and had a great laugh. One lady commented that she thought I was “a little bit crazy” after the briefest of meetings. I suppose it is a lot better than what most people call me beginning with the letter C.
The beaches are for the most part empty and the bar is never really packed full. There is no in your face music blasting till the early hours and the staff are so friendly and have a very good sense of humour.
The lack of light pollution makes for stunning night skies and wide field astro photography.


One of the main reasons for visiting the Maldives again other than it is a total paradise was to see Manta rays again.
I am sad to have to report that I myself did not see any on this occasion and Jono and Lou only saw a brief glimpse of one.
However after a few brief encounters at distance with the very playful Eagle Rays, two days before our departure three of them came to flirt outrageously with me for about twenty minutes swimming in circles around me and beneath me as I snorkeled off the north Jetty. 


They only buggered off after another couple of people arrived and started making a bit of a fuss. Such graceful things gliding slowly past you then speeding up, banking and turning. Amazing creatures that as Jono said “they don’t look like they should work but they do”. Lol.
All in all a fantastic trip and despite getting whacked a few times by Lou, which was my own fault for threatening to spank her with one of my fins.
I am usually ready to return home from holidays after around ten to twelve days but Embudu village charmed me so much that I really didn’t want to leave but alas we had too.
And so interweb I will leave you with this thought, Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
Peace out yall, THE BAGSTAXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment