Monday, 7 May 2012

Emma, Stop the Earth and inflicting myself upon the public!!!


Good afternoon interweb, happy bank holiday Monday!!! Last year we went on a marathon pub crawl and survived but due to work commitments we are unable to attend this year’s frivolities.
I am currently in an e-mail “discussion” with a lady from China called Emma, make of that what you will.
Emma seems to think that I came down with the last fall of leaves and am a bit thick.
I purchase from her UK distributor an underwater housing for my upcoming trip. After a few days I am informed that the model I ordered was sent back to them damaged and would I like a free upgraded model instead as they had no more of that model available? Well ok then.
The item arrived and I discovered a split in the edge which is never good for underwater operation and to be honest the quality was not really there.
I checked online and discovered that there were actually at least 10 of the original cases available but the price was nearly double what I had paid. I’m sure by now the slightly more astute of you have worked out as I did what was going on.
I sit tied to my pc like a pregnant farther awaiting Emma’s reply to my last communication.
In other news I have been thinking yet again, twice in as many days. The end of the world as we know it can’t be far away.
Yesterday I was musing about the planet slowing down in its rotational department kind of thing.
This got me to thinking about what would happen if the planet actually stopped spinning.
If it stopped spinning suddenly it would be a really bad day at hanging rock. You see the Earth revolves at around 1000 mph at the equator and if the Earth suddenly stopped, you, me, them, everybody (cue the music) the atmosphere, buildings everything on the surface of the planet would suddenly be flung (is that even a word) into the air at 1000 mph. Messy!
If the Earth slowly just kind of ran out of steam and stopped then it wouldn’t be nearly as bad but it would cause a few issues.
In this scenario  One half of the Earth would be in daylight for half the year while the other side would be in darkness. The second half of the year it would be reversed. Temperature variations would be far more extreme than they are now. The temperature gradient would also affect the wind circulation.. Air would move from the equator to the poles rather than in wind systems parallel to the equator as they are now.
The position of the sun in the sky would also change. It would just have a seasonal motion up and down in the sky towards the south due to the orbit of the Earth and its axial tilt.
You would see the elevation of the Sun increase or decrease in the sky just as we now see the elevation of the Sun change from a single point on the Earth due to the Earth's daily rotation.
My newly found compass would be pretty useless as the magnetic field of the Earth is generated by a dynamo effect that involves its rotation. If the Earth stopped rotating, the magnetic field would no longer be regenerated and it would decay away to some low, residual value due to the very small component which is 'fossilized' in the iron rich rocks.
 There would be no more 'northern lights' and the Van Allen radiation belts would probably vanish, as would our protection from cosmic rays and other high-energy particles. Losing this protection would cause serious health issues, even more so than going for a few drinks on a mammoth pub crawl on a bank holiday Monday.
And so it is that we are all really thankful that the Earth is still spinning and we can read yet more drivel, as I wonder my way through life I have found that few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example and that anyone who works is a fool. I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.
Peace out yall, THE BAGSTAXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment