Monday, 20 February 2012

Spelling, Betelgeuse and supernova!!!


Hello interweb, the start of another week has arrived and quite a busy one for me. Photo shoots, doctor appointments, invoicing, banking. I don’t know where ill find the time.
I think I need a PA. However I fear there is nobody on earth daft enough to set themselves up for that job. Never mind, I'm sure the multitude of post it notes surrounding my life will suffice.
I noticed something over the weekend that for me sums up what many of life’s problems are made up of and that would be people are just too damned lazy.
There was a notice on the staff room wall at work, It read something along the lines of “blah blah blah BOOK SWOP blah blah blah if you want to swop a book.” This notice had been done on a computer, turned to be printed horizontally and laminated. All that effort but the person producing the notice failed to even check the spelling. It was done on a computer that has a spell checker for heaven’s sake.
Anyway I will not let spelling errors raise my blood pressure.
I was watching a prof cox show last night before Top Gear came on and thought I would share a few gems from the show.
I promise I won’t go into all the physics of it as you will probably get bored but did you know that we have a star in our solar system that is visible with the naked eye and could go supernova at any moment?
(there should be a photo of a star going supernova inserted here but the insert image button is busted proper on blogger at the moment so you will have to use your imagination, probably a spelling error in the code)
Betelgeuse is the eighth brightest star in the night sky and second brightest star in the constellation of Orion, occasionally outshining its neighbour Rigel. Distinctly reddish-tinted, it is a semiregular variable star whose apparent magnitude varies between 0.2 and 1.2, the widest range of any first magnitude star.
The star marks the upper right vertex of the Winter Triangle and centre of the Winter Hexagon.
Classified as a red supergiant, Betelgeuse is one of the largest and most luminous stars known. If it were at the centre of our Solar System, its surface would extend past the asteroid belt possibly to the orbit of Jupiter and beyond, wholly engulfing Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars.
The future fate of Betelgeuse depends on its mass—a critical factor which is not well understood. Since most investigators concede a mass greater than 10M
, the most likely scenario is that the supergiant will continue to burn and fuse elements until its core is iron, at which point Betelgeuse will explode as a type II supernova. During this event the core will collapse, leaving behind a neutron star remnant some 20 km in diameter and what a show that will be.
I know how Betelgeuse feels, in the last month there have been moments that I myself could have gone supernova whilst having to deal with complete and utter idiots but have managed to maintain some sort of cohesion.
It has been my repeated experience that when you said to life calmly and firmly... 'I trust you; do what you must,' life had an uncanny way of responding to your need by hitting you in the face with a brick. However if you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? And should the force of Betelgeuse going supernova cause a tear in the space time continuum, in the words of Woody Allen remember this “Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it.”

Peace out y'all, THE BAGSTAXXX


No comments:

Post a Comment