Thursday, 16 June 2011

Sunsets, tourism and Stacey:)!!!!

Hello again world,
                           I'm getting quite good at this getting up thing. Even after a late night / early morning I can actually move my ass out of bed and feed myself. Quite the modern man you know.
I was looking through some photographs that I took on my last trip to the Maldives yesterday trying to find some images that I could salvage from the building site that was our base for a fortnight. I would usually take around the 200 - 300 mark but on this trip due to circumstances that have already been covered in previous blog posts, I managed around 40 (not including the underwater shots).
The particular island that was our base had built some water villas that stretched out into the sea and whilst they were very nice they totally ruined any chance of a decent sunset photograph as the sun set directly behind them.
Not to be beaten by this oversight of a design genius I tried a different approach and came up with the following image. I'm not sure if it works or not to be honest, there is something that doesn't quite work but I'm damned if I can figure out what.
As we are now in that part of the world this moves nicely on to a programme I watched on BBC3 last night called "Tourism the truth" by Stacey Dooley.

The 24 year old was trying to put forward the problems that the people in Kenya that work in the tourist trade suffer, how they are paid sometimes minimum wage or less and how corruption and kickbacks etc are rife.
Stacey must be applauded for her efforts in this show and also for her previous efforts but in this particular show I'm afraid she didn't quite get it right.
Whilst she is undoubtedly a very pretty little thing I'm afraid this came across more of a "Hi I'm Stacey, Ive just finished my degree and I'm doing a documentary and if I flutter my eyelashes enough people wont actually be that bothered about the content"
Whilst many of the issues raised such as water supplies etc and her presence helping solve these issues  a whole part of the programme seemed to miss out a portion of information that was not even mentioned.
Yes Stacey we are aware that the staff at the AI resorts are only paid $3.00 - $5.00 dollars a day and you say that the guests at these resorts think that they do not have to pay for anything because they are all inclusive. Well you know what Stacey, I have stayed at AI resorts myself on many occasions and I tip. Yep there's the rub girl, people do tip. I tip the waiters, bar staff, room boy and even the gardeners. If I do, in all likelihood so do other people, I tip around $3.00 - $5.00 a day to each of the above. Now if only a small percentage of other guests did the same these people are really on a nice little earner for the part of the world they are living in so whilst I appreciate your efforts and I'm sure your heart is in the right place, from a journalistic point of view that particular programme leaves a bit to be desired really.
I hope Stacey does more documentaries as she does tackle some interesting subjects and usually gets the balance right and it goes without saying she is very pleasing on the eye.
The other show I caught the back end of last night was"young rich and house hunting" Wow, talk about a show that makes you want to build a wall around London keeping the vermin in there. Spoilt little rich slappers looking around million pound properties like they were royalty of some kind, give me a break, or better still give me a gun, I already have a reason.
Anyway before I go all Bagsta again and start ranting and raving I better go and breath.
Peace out y'all, THE BAGSTAXX

No comments:

Post a Comment